Update: course date is April 21. Only first 20 registrants accepted.
“Facebook is for people you used to know. Twitter is for people you want to know.” – Tim O’Reilly“Twitter is the water cooler for connected free agents.” – Mark K
- Coaching & training a web development team based in TO in Agile
- Volunteering for Changecamp.ca and Thmvmnt.info, both which may turn into longer term paid gigs. Attended inaugural ChangeCamp in TO, got involved in organizing, expanded network of TO contacts
- Recruited a passionate volunteer for Pairvote.ca, who wrote on his blog, gave media interviews and poured in countless hours in final week of campaign
- Many useful links and tips on Agile, helped many others with Agile questions
- Organized all-star panel for Agile 2009 conference from people who responded on Twitter.
- Made many new friends, both locally and around the world.
- Learned about the Hudson plane crash moments after it happened. Saw first photo of plane crash on Twitter before reaching mainstream media.
Twitter, at first glance is a simple tool to master, but without guidance it can take months to start getting real value for time invested. The purpose of this course is to avoid the time suck to ramp up on how best to use your time on Twitter. Participants will learn by doing:
- How Twitter differs from other social networking tools
- How Twitter is being used by citizens, business people, government officials, media and others
- How to create a suitable presence on Twitter
- How to use a Twitter client to better manage conversations and relationships
- How to find people they want to converse with
- Proper Twitter etiquette
- Examples of Twitter postings
- Discover 3rd party tools to enhance their Twitter experience
When: April 21, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Where: Course will take place at Algoma University, using a computer lab where everyone will have their own workstation.
Size limited to 20 participants. Course fee is $50. Register and pay online.
2 hrs total, though may stretch to as much as 2.5 hours
15 min Intro: What is Twitter?
15 min Setting up your account
15 min How to find followers / people to follow, conversations of interest
10 min Break
20 min Twitter client tools show and tell, with focus on PeopleBrowsr
10 min Apps that use Twitter, apps to help you benefit more from Twitter
10 min Questions, concerns
10 min Conclusion, wrap-up